Types of Electronic Components
These are of 2 types: Passive and Active Components.Both these types of components can be either Through-Hole or SMD.
1. Passive Components
These components are those that do not have gain or directionality. They are also called Electrical elements or electrical components.
Example: Resistors, Capacitors, Diodes, Inductors.
2. Active Components
These components are those that have gain or directionality.
Example: Transistors, Integrated Circuits or ICs,Logic Gates.
Function of Basic Electronic Components
- Terminals and Connectors: Components to make electrical connection.
- Resistors: Components used to resist current.
- Switches: Components that may be made to either conduct (closed) or not (open).
- Capacitors: Components that store electrical charge in an electrical field.
- Magnetic or Inductive Components: These are Electrical components that use magnetism.
- Network Components: Components that use more than 1 type of Passive Component.
- Piezoelectric devices, crystals, resonators: Passive components that use piezoelectric. effect.
- Semiconductors: Electronic control parts with no moving parts.
- Diodes: Components that conduct electricity in only one direction.
- Transistors: A semiconductor device capable of amplification.
- Integrated Circuits or ICs: A microelectronic computer circuit incorporated into a chip or semiconductor; a whole system rather than a single component.