Nowadays, High Density Interconnect (HDI) printed circuit boards (PCBs) are being used increasingly. These PCBs incorporate higher connection pad densities, finer lines and spaces, and smaller vias and capture pads. Electronics industry has made a lot of technological advancements, thanks to high density interconnect PCBs.
What are the Benefits of HDI PCBs?
There are a number of benefits of using the HDI PCBs in various applications. Here are some benefits:
- Exceptional Versatility: The high density interconnect circuit boards are typically used in applications in which weight, space, reliability, and performance are major concerns. Thus, HDI circuit boards are used in a wide range of applications that are related to aeronautics, consumer products, electronics, and computers.
- Compact Designs: These high density boards make use of either blind vias, buried vias, or a combination of both. At times, these circuit boards also integrate microvias, which have extremely small diameter. Hence, less space is sufficient to incorporate more components.
- Higher Reliability: The multilayer high density interconnect boards have a capacity to offer solid interconnection of stacked vias. This makes them highly reliable for use in most extreme and unfavorable environments.
- Improved Signal Transmission: HDI printed circuit boards make use of small components. These circuit boards incorporate via in pad and blind via technology, and thus allowing components to be placed closer to each other. This helps in reducing signal losses and the possibilities of cross delays, thereby improving the signal transmission rates. All these things help improve the overall performance of the high density interconnect printed circuit boards.
- Cost-effective Designs: High density circuit boards help in reducing the size of products, without compromising on their quality. Hence, with the help of HDI technology, an 8 layer through-hole PCB can be reduced to a 4 layer HDI microvia PCB. However, the wiring capabilities of the 4 layer HDI PCB have the same or better function as that of an 8 layer PCB. A high-quality HDI design can be availed at cost effective prices.